Friday 10 January 2014

Word of the Week


It's been long recognised that January is the most depressing month, people feel down about returning to work after the Christmas and New Year break! But what about the percentage of us, that every month is a repeat of January, those who suffer from depression, stress, anxiety? Every month is a struggle, there are good days and there are bad days but it's still a journey, a battle that no one else can see except the person who is suffering.

This is where empathy comes in. It's so easy to say 'Cheer up! It might never happen' or 'What have you got to be depressed about?' but it doesn't help...not in the slightest. I'm not an expert on mental health issues, I'm just a person who suffers from it. But if we all treated people with a bit of empathy, a kind word or a smile could be the only positive gesture that person has had that day, it certainly wouldn't cure them but would make them feel a whole lot better.

This month I've made a point of saying 'Good morning' or smiling at neighbours or people at the school gates, I've been extra friendly to the assistant at any shop I visit. I stop and ask work colleagues if they are ok or if they have had a nice day.

It's not going to change the world, but I sure feel a lot better and hopefully I've brightened up someone's day.

I'm linking up with The Reading Residence for the Word of the Week Blog-Hop.


The Reading Residence

8 comments:

  1. You say it's not going to change the world, but I probably changes theirs, at least for a few minutes, if not brightening their whole day. I think it's a lovely thing to do. Great choice of word and post. Thanks for linking up with #WotW x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I speak from experience that a kind word makes you feel much better. Thank you for hosting this link-party, I love it x

      Delete
  2. Great word and if more people did this, it might make the world a bit happier! #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It would make a big difference x

      Delete
  3. Great word, so important, and little efforts like yours do make all the difference - we should all do the same xx #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. 2012 was the worst year I've ever had with regards to my mental health and just the simplest kind word was such a boost for me, I wanted to cry when people were nice or give them a huge bear hug, I don't think they realised how much it helped me x

      Delete
  4. Great word and what a lovely person you are for brightening people's day. A couple of years ago I made a resolution to smile and say hello to at least one stranger a day. It got harder to find strangers as the year went on as it led to quite a few friendships and lots of regular weather/nods/waves/"Morning" acquaintances x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words. That's a fantastic resolution to have with a great outcome x

      Delete